Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Chainsaw Warrior - Games Workshop Solitaire Game 1987

Carrying on from yesterdays post I went and looked at Chainsaw Warrior.  I had RAF all ready to go when I had an unexpected visitor and had to pack it all away to have the table clear.  As you can see from this post my perseverance to staying on topic melted away and I was distracted by another bright shiny.  In this case it was shiny, the game has been laminated in contact plastic, I recall at the time it was a craze amongst a group of us to do this.  I now of course regret this, as it has ruined some of the games, sticky edges more than anything.  Annoying...

Here is my copy out and I've played a game... lost to the Darkness........

The box, in very good repair, thanks to contact plastic, but shiny...

Image from BGG, I also found I had the cards from the WD as well.
Of course you can get this game as an App (Auroch Digital/GameTheNews - 4.2 Stars - AUS$6.99) on your phone or tablet these days, and to be honest it would be far more economical in time to just grab it than to crack open the game box, set it up, find all the pieces and play the game.  Now having said that, it is not as rewarding as playing the actual boardgame itself.  It is an old game now, 30 years this year, and it really does annoy me when the younger generation poo poo the idea that old games have no place in today's gaming place.  Certainly there are some bombs out there, but like everything you had to start at the beginning to get to the end?  Well maybe I should say the Model T Ford did it's job as does the modern motor vehicle, yet you had to have the Model T before you got to today's motor vehicle.  In another 30 years one will look at a game and think it quaint or outclassed compared to what is being played.  Age and mechanics have nothing or should have nothing to do with whether or not you enjoy the journey which is the game.

BoardGameGeek link to Chainsaw Warrior

Till next time...

John

No comments:

Post a Comment